This month our featured “Fun Fish” is Wolffish sourced from Niceland Seafood in Iceland (the only MSC-certified fishery for Wolffish)!
We’re particularly excited to feature this fish because it is currently prime season for Wolffish, which runs from March through July. Though this fish is available year-round, prime season provides the absolute best quality product, because this is when the fish are fatter with thicker/firmer fillets and more of a crab-like flavor due to their shellfish diet.
Wolffish pairs well with acidic foods, such as kimchi, capers, lemon, etc. The fish has medium fluffy flakes and a denser tail portion with a more crab-like texture. The fillets are longer, which makes for easy portioning.
This month, we teamed up with Chef Shelby LeBleu of Elevation Foodservice Reps for a fun fish “cook-off” with Seattle Fish R&D Chef Peter Rauen. The two chefs prepared a Wolffish en Papillote with Garlic Herb Butter using two types of equipment in the Elevation Chefs Playground, using the below recipe.
If you’d like more information about Wolffish or the Fun Fish program, reach out to your SFC rep today!
Wolffish en Papillote with Garlic Herb Butter
¼ pound – Salted Butter
1 tsp – Fresh Garlic (minced)
½ tsp. – Fresh Thyme (chopped)
1 tsp. – Italian Parsley (chopped)
1 tbls. – Fresh Lemon Juice
Season with Black Pepper
Recipe (Oven Cooking Method):
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place butter in mixing bowl, let soften and blend in all the ingredients, mixing well. Set aside for later use.
- Cut 1 sheet of large parchment paper into heart shape and lightly coat inside with olive oil.
- Place the spinach mixture in the center of the paper, top with Wolffish fillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Top fish fillet with ½ ounce of garlic herb butter. Fold over the parchment paper and fold the parchment paper in small portions until completely closed.
- Place on baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut open parchment paper with scissors or knife, allowing the aroma to escape, immediately before consuming or presenting to customer.
PS the Elevation Reps Chef’s Playground is always open for chefs to visit and demo their products. If you’d like to find out more information or schedule a demo, click here!