Seattle Fish Co. proudly supports a number of FIPs and AIPS through SeaPact and Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP). What are FIPs and AIPs, you ask? They are short for Fishery and Aquaculture Improvement Projects. FIPs and AIPS are an alliance of buyers, suppliers and producers that work together to improve a fishery or farming area by:
- Pressing for better policies and management
- Voluntarily changing fishing/farming practices
- Reducing bycatch and habitat impacts
- Encouraging supply chains to improve the fisheries and farms
What are the guidelines for FIPs?
Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions FIP Guidelines:
- Clear Participants
- Public Commitment
- Defined Objectives
- Public Work Plan
- System for Tracking and Reporting
We will continually share specific FIPs and AIPs of which Seattle Fish Co. supports here in our Fishmonger Journals, so stay tuned! In the meantime, you can learn more about these projects in the FIP Directory.
Here is in an introductory video on FIPs by Sustainable Fisheries Partnership.